Friday, November 9, 2012

Dark Reading Mailing List Compromised?

So I try to stay on top of the tech news in regard to exploits and security. One of the sites that I subscribe to is Dark Reading. It's more of a main stream sort of whitepaper delivery system for vendors but every once in a while I find something useful. They usually provide links to the real content and I go in search of something more informative on the topic, but they're a good starting point (unlike the 2600 Hacker Quarterly who publishes exploits directly on their pages).

As a hacker I'm paranoid about a lot of things. I see the system and I see all of the nuts, bolts, cables, users, and the complete infrastructure all at once. It's sort of a mind-numbingly overwhelming gift for information overload.

While I was Web Manager working at CertMag.com one of my responsibilities was configuring, securing, and learning the ins and outs of our StrongMail MTA and maintaining our mailing lists locally (amongst a bazillion other things). We had an offsite service that "maintained" our list, but there were a few ways that the list(s) could be captured by savvy listeners when we were submitting it or receiving it over non-secure or non-encrypted channels (think Wireshark). At the time we employed the services of Hallmark Data Systems, and they had several procedures and securities in place to make sure our list was "safe." Basically from what I gathered it was an offline database on an AS 400, although I think they were considering integrating some aspects online (for a fee of course).

We weren't controlling any sensitive information, unless you count names, addresses, titles, and email addresses as sensitive (I guess altogether it could be something because it was a loosely targeted list if you're into marketing). For the most part once that information was sent to the database house it was out of our hands and pretty much would never be seen again in its complete state unless we pulled an audit query. They managed providing the list to the printer that distributed the print versions of our publications and they would also email back to us a queried list of names and email addresses only matching certain criteria per publication (I think this was eventually accessible online after a while come to think of it). They would then update the lists for people who had opted out or unsubscribed for legal and advertising audit purposes. In short it's a big technical inefficient process.

Jump ahead 5 Years later, one of the major issues with web subscriptions today or services where you expect to get something for providing a little personal information is getting tons of stuff that you don't want. So how can you tell whether the unsolicited email you're receiving is random spam, from a sold list, from a compromised web form or from a hacked database? One of the ways I combat this myself is I create a custom email address for every site that I'm registered on. I think right now I'm up to 400 or something ridiculous like that. It's usually nothing anyone would guess... acronyms but not random gibberish. When I register for a new site, I give them a new address. If an email looks like a legitimate pass with something in the footer like "You're receiving this message because you subscribed for Dark Reading," then I know they sold it or it's a sister publication. By law any legitimate sending service is required to provide an opt-out.  Also when someone opts out there is a certain amount of time to stop sending that person messages or the fines could be steep (severely).

So today I'm going through my emails and I see a message to my Dark Reading account titled "Re:Re: sending servers /.../." Out of curiosity I open the message on a *NIX machine and it's an ad for "Highly Stable and Secure Bulk Email Servers for Email Marketing." Sort of ironic. The company that I subscribed with was exploited by a company that provides "Highly Stable and Secure Bulk Email" services that are apparently more secure than my subscriptions own service?

So out comes the magnifying glass. A reverse look-up of the sending server's IP address with ARIN.net goes back to 173.192.141.86 at SoftLayer in Texas. No domain information was provided on the handshake with my email server, so it's no doubt a compromised machine running a root kit or a slave app. The return-path goes to an email address at fillmore.com which is owned by Fillmore Real Estate in Brooklyn. It was more than likely either hacked or they could just be a bounce back victim of a spam reply at which point they're not even involved.

So I dig a little deeper.

There's an email address in the links only(no websites) that goes to 21cn.com. If you're familiar with ccTLDs or country-code Top Level Domains then you'll recognize "cn" as China. This is a .com TLD, so on a hunch I look up the domain in APNIC.net... returned no results, Network Solutions... no results, Ripe.net... no results, but Internic.net came back with very little information and a different whois server for the domain at whois.35.com. So I plug that in and found the registrant to be:

     21cn corporation limited domainmanage@21cn.com +86.2085264358 +86.2085265827
     21CN Corporation Limited
     2F,NO.52 Liuyunwu street,Tiyu Rd,East,Tianhe,Guangzhou,China
     Guangzhou,Guangdong,CN 510620

So apparently the Dark Reading website's database, or their database management service, or some machine at Dark Reading's HQ was "hacked" and their list stolen, because I've not received any bulk emails on that list where I saw any other "subscribers," like an accidental broadcast with everyone in the CC field or some rookie mistake like that. There is the chance someone might have run a cycler to guess my own email address, but it's unlikely since I have a lot more email addresses that begin with letters other than "D" prior. Since it's only been provided to Dark Reading and it's a receive-only alias account I know it is not an issue on my end because that address isn't stored anywhere. If someone gleaned it from my mail server on the off chance they were listening to the data center in California then I'm sure I would receive a lot more of these to all of my email addresses (aliases) on record.  If they're using a service like we were it also might have been compromised in the transfer between Dark Reading and their database managing service.

From a PR standpoint, it always looks bad when a website that publishes info about online security experts might not have an IT staff that implements what they read in their own material. Okay that might be a little harsh considering there are more important things to do like replace faulty mice or tell people their company provided laptop no longer works because they've dropped it one too many times, but I can almost guarantee I probably won't read about it in Dark Reading.

That's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm going to read this before it goes live if you don't mind.